We all need a little help now and then.
Common education does a decent job of imparting information, but different people sometimes need a different approach, a little push, supplemental explanation or special practice so that they can truly understand and succeed with a subject... and in life. Part of my tutoring process is to listen and discern what is really at the root of the student's learning challenges. Sometimes it turns out that the real problem isn't the subject at all, but the way it is being taught, a lack of study time or space, or even a completely unrelated frustration. My goal is to help people strengthen their study habits and deepen their thinking skills so that they can grow in true understanding and experience success. This usually means not providing direct answers, but helping the student learn how to find the answer on his own.
My areas of strength include:
- Philosophy (including ethics, logic, critical thinking and rhetoric)
- Theology and Religion (especially Catholic/Christian)
- Writing (essays, project papers and theses; creative, research and persuasive styles)
- Physics and Natural Sciences
- Mathematics (pre-algebra, algebra 1 and 2, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, etc.)
- Computer Science and Engineering
- General test preparation, especially ACT, PSAT and SAT
- Developing good study habits
Of these, philosophy is my favorite subject by far.
I work best with teens and older, have been doing so since about 1990, and am presently an adjunct faculty member at Chemeketa Community College. I prefer to meet in person with people who are in or near McMinnville, OR, especially if we are working from your textbooks. For clients more than 20 miles away, we can meet half-way, you are welcome to come to my office (or another location of your choosing), or we can meet online by video-chat. E-mail or telephone can work, too, depending on the subject.
I have received the following degrees and certifications:
- Master of Arts in Philosophy from Holy Apostles College and Seminary
- Master of Theological Studies from University of Dallas
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Engineering (double major) from Seattle Pacific University
- Online Teaching, MOOC Development, and Philosophical Counseling certifications
When I'm not working from home or caring for my family, I'm usually found at my gym where I teach physical fitness and self-defense. I also enjoy woodworking, writing, and various martial arts.
Undergraduate Degree: Seattle Pacific University - Bachelor of Science, Physics and Engineering
Graduate Degree: University of Dallas - Masters, Theological Studies
Graduate Degree: Holy Apostles College and Seminary - Master of Arts, Philosophy
10th Grade Reading
11th Grade Reading
12th Grade Reading
9th Grade Reading
College Computer Science
High School Chemistry
High School Computer Science
High School English
High School Physics
Middle School Science
Technology and Coding